[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 16:25:14 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Scott Leibrand <
> scottleibrand at gmail.com>

> followed
> >>
> >> Yes, I suggest that the AC reverse the last call state and bring this
> >> to a public meeting of ARIN.
> >>
> >> At best, section one of the "pdp" has been thrown out with the bath
> >> water with respect to the at least four versions presented to the
> >> community. A concept is not a policy and I don't dispute that we agree
> >> on the concept of allowing interRIR transfers.
> >
> > Understood.  After the last call is completed, that is one possible
> action
> > that the AC could take.
>
> > But I was hoping you (and anyone else with ideas) could provide actual
> > constructive feedback on how the text could be improved.
>
> That is actual constructive feedback unless of course nobody is listening.

I'm listening.  I believe we both share a goal of updating ARIN's transfer
policies to remove unnecessary restrictions.  I am hearing your feedback,
that we shouldn't do so yet.  But I haven't seen any additional feedback on
the actual text being discussed.  In particular, I would love to know what
improvements you would like to make to the text.

>If such
> > suggestions are being provided here on list, we can discuss whether they
> are
> > potential improvements we should incorporate.  If not, the choice is
> between
> > moving forward or delaying.  I'm not sure how delaying another 6 months
> > helps.
>
> Can you explain how it hurts?

As I mentioned previously (at the mic in Philly and/or on PPML, IIRC), I
expect there will be organizations who wish to transfer space from
organization in the ARIN region to organizations in the APNIC region, quite
possibly in the next 6 months.  If that demand materializes and we can't
meet it, that will hurt someone, either the parties that wish to do the
transfer (if they decide not to do it) or the community (if they decide to
do it outside of the RIR system).

We've heard from Marty and Bill.  If anyone else feels that 2011-1 should be
revised, should go back for another meeting, or should move forward as is,
please speak up.

-Scott