[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

Andrew Koch andrew.koch at gawul.net
Thu Oct 20 23:10:15 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 14:58, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> 1. Pull it out of section 8.3 and put it in its own section 8.4. At no
> time in the process do I recall the community express a desire to
> tamper with section 8.3 as part of the inter-region transfer process.
> While such integration may become desirable in the future it is, IMHO,
> not desirable now. We should implement, learn from and tune the
> inter-region policy long before considering whether or how to
> integrate it with the in-region transfer policy.

I do not agree that a separate policy is needed for transfers.  All
transfers should fall under the same criteria for the resource
recipient in my opinion.

> 2. Earlier drafts required potential recipients to meet the
> eligibility criteria set by BOTH regions. While this increases the
> hassle factor associated with transferring addresses in or out of the
> region, I believe it provides a valuable safeguard for this, our first
> attempt at inter-region transfers. If, over time, we find that it's
> all hassle for no benefit, we can remove it.

I completely disagree with this point.  I believe that requiring the
recipient to meet criteria in both regions will hinder the process to
non-usability.  I am ok with leaving this as is.  I would also be ok
with requiring the recipient to meet the existing registrant's RIR
policy on transfer.

> 3. Who determines that ARIN and another RIR "share compatible,
> needs-based policies?" Unless we set out explicit criteria, this is an
> open-ended policy-level question which should be decided by
> policy-level people, i.e. the Board. NOT by staff. I offered this
> criticism on the earlier drafts as well and I'm disappointed to see it
> hasn't been addressed.

This is a point I agree with.  What is your recommendation on
resolving this?  Place text that this transfer policy only can go into
effect when the Board makes notice that another RIR has compatible
needs-based policy?  Would you require them to review this on some
type of interval?  Where should this be published?

Regards,
Andy Koch