[arin-ppml] ARIN Multiple Discrete Networks Policy

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Oct 3 13:05:34 EDT 2011

On Oct 2, 2011, at 11:35 PM, John Curran wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2011, at 10:32 PM, Kevin Blumberg wrote:
>
>> 2) How many times has this policy been accepted/rejected in the past 2 years?
>
> I do not know the stats offhand, but can obtain them.

Kevin -

It turns out that rejections are very hard to measure (e.g. Applicant
applied, was turned down, reapplied, got told it needed to be amended,
then reapplied with changes and approved - Is that 3 requests, 2 denied
and 1 approved, or is that 1 approved and 0 rejections?)

We need to more consideration about how to usefully collect that
information, but in the meantime I can provide statistics on the
accepted MDN requests (and in context against all approved address
requests):

Statistics on use of the MDN policy

In the past year (10/1/2010 -> 9/30/2011):

We've had 63 total requests approved under MDN:

          44 v4 requests approved under MDN
          19 v6 requests approved under MDN

This is out of a total number of IPv4/IPv6 address
request approvals in the same period of:

          872  v4 requests approved
          1134 v6 requests approved

44 of 872 v4 approvals means MDN was approx 5% of total
19 of 1,134 v6 approvals meansMDN was approx 2% of total

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO