[arin-ppml] ARIN Multiple Discrete Networks Policy

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Oct 2 23:35:50 EDT 2011

On Oct 2, 2011, at 10:32 PM, Kevin Blumberg wrote:

> John,
>
> I've been following this thread and a couple questions come to mind.
>
> 1) In the case of a dispute between ARIN and a member what recourse mechanism is there?

The member first gets to ask for a review by the Chief Operating Officer.
THe COO confirms that the request was handled consistent with all other
requests received under the same policy section.  If the request is still
denied, the member can appeal.

First portion of the appeal is done by the CEO (me) and consists of the
same process followed by the COO, but additionally involves reviewing the
procedures used to process the request to see if they correctly implement
language and intent.  If this does not resolve the situation, then the
member has the option of formal arbitration per their RSA agreement.
<https://www.arin.net/resources/resource_requests/appeal_process.html>

> 2) How many times has this policy been accepted/rejected in the past 2 years?

I do not know the stats offhand, but can obtain them.

> If I had  a scenario like this:
>
> Toronto
> Diverse Paths
>
> Calgary
> Diverse Paths
>
> Would the MDN policy apply? If I decided later on to add an interconnection to move certain traffic
> between the cities would the MDN policy still apply?

Hypothetical situations generally need a lot more information,
but I will endeavor to do so with the information supplied -

If you have two completely separate networks, then the MDN
determination of compelling reason for them being discrete is
trivial and you would be approved.  If you dded a backbone
between them, then you would be asked whether you can readily
reallocate the space to the network that is running low and
needs more.  If you indicated that you could do that (because
of the interconnection via your backbone), and have no compelling
reason for running discrete networks then you would be informed
that you do not qualify under the MDN policy.

That's generally how it would be handled; obviously, an actual
answer is based on the details of any specific request.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO