[arin-ppml] Version 1.1 (grammatical cleanup and clarification) of Proposal 158 (Clarify Multiple Discrete Networks IPv4 Policy)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Nov 11 21:00:14 EST 2011

On Nov 11, 2011, at 5:27 PM, Matthew Petach wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> Below is an update to Proposal 158. The changes are very minor (corrected some
>> typos) and do not change the meaning or intent at all.
>> The resulting section 4.5 would read:
>>
>> 4.5. Multiple Discrete Networks
>>
>> Organizations with multiple discrete networks desiring to request new or additional address space under a single Organization ID must meet the following criteria:

>> 4.5.5 When applying for additional internet address registrations from ARIN, the organization must demonstrate utilization greater than 50% of both the last block allocated and the aggregate sum of all blocks allocated from ARIN to that organization. If an organization is unable to satisfy this 50% minimum utilization criteria, the organization may alternatively qualify for additional internet address registrations by having all unallocated blocks of addresses smaller than ARIN's current minimum allocation size.
>
> I'm sorry, but "the organization may alternatively qualify for
> additional internet
> address registrations by having all unallocated blocks of addresses smaller
> than ARIN's current minimum allocation size." seems to be a sentence fragment,
> and doesn't parse into meaningful English.
>
> Could that section be rewritten in a way that makes sense?  I have
> no idea what it is trying to say.  :(
>
> Thanks!
>
> Matt

Um, that part is the text from the existing policy copied verbatim. As such, it's
already on the books and doesn't really impact this proposal as yet. However...

In fairness, now that you point it out, I am confused by it as well. I will endeavor
to turn it into an English translation of my best guess in an additional text update,
but, I welcome comments from the community regarding what it should say in
the meantime.

Owen