[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Revised Assessment

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Nov 10 21:35:17 EST 2011

On Nov 10, 2011, at 9:17 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

> Well,  if there were 124 people present and only  24 weighted in...
> that's what 20% stepping in to say they're
> in favor of doing that, and  14%   of those present  stepping in as opposed ?
>
> That's not a majority either way, then.   A majority would be 62
> stepping in to say they're in favor, right?
> And less than one third of those present made a show of support or
> oppose either way?
> It sounds like the great majority didn't want to weigh in,  either direction.

Jimmy -

  Since the room often has a wide range of folks (many of whom do not
  show support either way, such as ARIN staff or visiting staff of the
  other RIRs, AC or Board members under most conditions, invited guests),
  the total count in the room is always somewhat greater than the count
  of active participants.

> Which sounds like both massive lack of support of 2011-1 actually
> moving to last call,
> and massive lack of particular opposition as well.
>
> So you had a moderate show of support from the community of the
> concept of providing for interregional transfers with 42% showing in
> favor  and <1% showing as opposed,    but quite limited show of full
> support for the text proposed   or of moving to last call.

  Actually, I agree with your comparison in any case: the concept of
  providing for interregional transfers in some form had moderate support
  (I'd actually consider it "strong" in light of the count issues above)
  whereas advancing the presented policy language (with corrections) to
  last call had limited support and clear opposition in the community.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO