[arin-ppml] Petition draft 2011-1 last call

Brett Frankenberger rbf+arin-ppml at panix.com
Tue Nov 8 13:14:28 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 09:41:43AM +0000, John Curran wrote:
> Bill -
>
>   Your petition must conform to the ARIN Policy Development Policy,
>   and that does not provide for submission of an alternate version
>   of the draft policy via the petition process.  It provides for
>   the petition of an "action taken by the Advisory Council".  The
>   ARIN PDP may be found here: <https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html>
>
>   Please indicate which Advisory Council action you are petitioning
>   so that the petition process may be initiated.

He is petitioning the AC's failure to advance a draft policy worded
exactly as the one that appears in his petition.

I think his underlying point is that if the AC has the authority to
substantially revise a policy on its own and then immediately advance
that to last call, then he should be able to petition any decision by
the AC to not revise the policy the way he wants it revised.

Of course, now we'll have to debate what "action of the Advisory
Council" means.  Some will argue that it doesn't include "failure to
take an action".

     -- Brett