[arin-ppml] Petition draft 2011-1 last call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Nov 8 13:28:41 EST 2011

On Nov 8, 2011, at 1:14 PM, Brett Frankenberger wrote:
> He is petitioning the AC's failure to advance a draft policy worded
> exactly as the one that appears in his petition.

Indeed, that may be his intention.

> I think his underlying point is that if the AC has the authority to
> substantially revise a policy on its own and then immediately advance
> that to last call, then he should be able to petition any decision by
> the AC to not revise the policy the way he wants it revised.

The ARIN AC does have the power to substantially revise or even
abandon policy proposals (in fact, they're elected predominantly
to perform that particular actions in the process of managing
policy proposals through the Policy Development Process).

The community may petition against such revisions or abandonment;
a petition is specifically against an ARIN AC action and not the
process for introduction of additional policy proposals.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO