[arin-ppml] Petition draft 2011-1 last call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Nov 8 19:41:36 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Bill Darte <BillD at cait.wustl.edu> wrote:
> My error in stating community rather than the specific voting community.
> My point is that we work hard in the role that we have to respond to the
> needs of the community and to craft policy..in a timely fashion...which the
> community wants.

Which community, the "specific voting community?"

Okay, that was a cheap shot. The truth is, I appreciate your hard
work. In the case of several AC members (including you) I appreciate
your responsiveness. But never imagine that you have the wider
community's bottom-up mandate to write number policy on their behalf.
You don't. That mandate came top-down from the Board. While I deeply
respect them as individuals, their election was no more broadly based
than your own.

You gain the wider community's mandate only with their participation,
not just in approving policy text but drafting it in the first place.
The less you solicit that participation, the more fiercely you defend
choices not to integrate it, the weaker the organization's claim to a
bottom-up mandate becomes.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004