[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Thu May 19 19:10:13 EDT 2011

Hi Blake,

  It's not about a limit, though the above limit is ludicrously high. What benefit to the community does IP space sitting with some broker give the community post run-out? Even just a /24 of space just sitting there is a complete waste of resources that could be better used elsewhere.

  The limit was suggested by another, and it's clearly too small an amount to hope to corner or manipulate a market.

  I am perfectly OK with existing space sitting with someone who no longer needs it waiting to be sold. I think it is a completely unnecessary waste of resources to allow someone to purchase said space that is not planning on *using* it.

  What difference does it make if space is sitting in a broker's inventory or the inventory of ARIN's STLS?
  What about the many other examples I gave where the current needs requirement would not be met?
  Like temporary use, emergency suppliers, lessors, or those with planning horizons longer than ARIIN dictat?

  Be a broker if you want, and make a site like EBAY or something, proxy transfer if you really want to be aggressive, but I just don't see the use of letting space sit with a buyer who only intends to try to profit from speculation, because that is the only possible justification for removing needs is speculation, wether its your overly long planning period, or some other equivalent, its still speculation of a limited resource to bring you profit at the expense of the community.

  -Blake

  The community would be free to buy and sell addresses without the added expense of trying to meet ARIN's needs requirements, which are subject to change.
  The other provisions of my proposal, which preclude ARIN utilization audits,  would actually work to bring addresses off the sidelines by relieving sellers of the threat of an ARIN review should they seek to transfer some of their addresses.  And you keep saying brokers want to keep addresses on the sidelines. To me a broker wants to increase sales to increase his commissions. That is very different from a hoarder or speculator.

  Regards,
  Mike