[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 19 19:19:12 EDT 2011

On May 19, 2011, at 3:28 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> On 5/19/2011 3:21 PM, Blake Dunlap wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 17:13, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
>> On 5/19/2011 2:59 PM, Blake Dunlap wrote:
>>

>> its still speculation of a limited resource to bring you profit at the expense of the community.
>>
>> Please remember that not all speculation of limited resources, even if it brings the speculator profit from time to time, is at the expense of the community. Oftentimes it actually provides benefits to the community (market liquidity, price stability, etc.)
>>
>> Matthew Kaufman
>>
>> Price stability does not require a middle man to hold assets, they only need to be listed, but I will give you liquidity for *sellers* absolutely.
>>
>> Do we really need such liquidity for *sellers* in IPv4? Is there even use for such?
>

> Sure. If you need space in 6 months, but not now, wouldn't it be nice to get it from someone who'd worked with a middleman today to start a 5-month project to free up space and transfer it to the middleman... rather than having to wait those 5 months yourself?

This presumes that without the middle-man, the project wouldn't have begun out of a desire
to make the space available for sale. If you claim to believe in market forces, then, the
speculator brings no value here because market forces would drive the person to begin
the project early in order to satisfy the expected demand as soon as possible.

Owen