[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 19 15:05:09 EDT 2011


On May 19, 2011, at 11:44 AM, Mike Burns wrote:

> Blake,
>  
> How many times have I been accused of shirking stewardship, or abandoning it?
> I have asked that posters refrain from that flammable language, but yet it persists.
>  

FWIW, I did not take your post as a personal attack.

> There was also Owen's point about not making policy for personal reasons, only for the good of the community.
> I read that as an elliptical personal attack, and consistent with his attempt to paint me as a poor steward and as somebody who is trying to make policy for selfish and not community reasons.
>  

It was not intended as such and I apologize if it came across that way. My point is that your policy
would serve the interest of a select few well capitalized organizations significantly better than
the interests of the overall community. I really haven't intended to paint you as a poor steward,
merely to point out that your proposal is a step away from stewardship for the sake of the entire
community and towards stewardship that favors the mightiest few among the community as
defined by capitalization.

>  
> Nonetheless, I see your point and apologize for my personal attacks and resolve to end them and not try to yell louder and sling mud.
>  

No apology needed as far as I was concerned, but, maybe I'm just too thick-skinned to realize
I got attacked. ;-)

Owen

> Regards,
> Mike
>  
>  
>  
>  
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Blake Dunlap
> To: arin-ppml at arin.net
> Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:34 PM
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate
> 
> 
> 
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 13:08, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:
> Hi Owen,
>  
> I'm top-posting because it's too hard to keep this readable with the black vertical lines on the left side.
>  
> I guess we can let Geoff Huston speak for himself:
> http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2008-11/transfers.html
>  
> As to Microsoft planning leading them to purchasing the same exact need as ARIN's particular application of its policies at the time of the transaction?
> Please.
> Remember that Microsoft was an arms-length negotiator who was solicited by the address broker in the deal along with 80 other companies.
> So Microsoft's planning was so excellent that they could find the exact amount of addresses they needed in the form of the very first public sale of legacy addresses ever recorded?
> That's believable!
> And their excellent planning staff, whose decision so exactly matched ARIN's ex-post-facto analysis, failed to inform management that they could save $7.5 million by getting them directly from ARIN?
>  
>  "I suppose since I favor a faster migration to IPv6, I should probably support the greater disruption to IPv4 brought about by your policy, but, in the interests of the community, I just can't bring myself to do so."
>  
> lol. Sounds like you're shirking your longterm stewardship duties there.
>  
> Regards,
> Mike 
> 
> 
> You were much more persuasive before you started resorting to personal attacks. I even agree with your goal somewhat, just not the current plan for getting there, or many of your justifications for such. You will have much better luck actually listening to others and working with them, instead of just yelling louder and slinging mud.
> 
> As stated however, I strongly agree with Owen that this current policy is a nightmare for the community as written.
> 
> -Blake
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
> _______________________________________________
> PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20110519/7fd8a594/attachment.html>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list