[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Blake Dunlap ikiris at gmail.com
Thu May 19 14:34:19 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 13:08, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:

>  Hi Owen,
>
> I'm top-posting because it's too hard to keep this readable with the black
> vertical lines on the left side.
>
> I guess we can let Geoff Huston speak for himself:
> http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2008-11/transfers.html
>
> As to Microsoft planning leading them to purchasing the same exact need as
> ARIN's particular application of its policies at the time of the
> transaction?
> Please.
> Remember that Microsoft was an arms-length negotiator who was solicited by
> the address broker in the deal along with 80 other companies.
> So Microsoft's planning was so excellent that they could find the exact
> amount of addresses they needed in the form of the very first public sale of
> legacy addresses ever recorded?
> That's believable!
> And their excellent planning staff, whose decision so exactly matched
> ARIN's ex-post-facto analysis, failed to inform management that they could
> save $7.5 million by getting them directly from ARIN?
>
>  "I suppose since I favor a faster migration to IPv6, I should probably
> support the greater disruption to IPv4 brought about by your policy, but,
> in the interests of the community, I just can't bring myself to do so."
>
> lol. Sounds like you're shirking your longterm stewardship duties there.
>
> Regards,
> Mike

You were much more persuasive before you started resorting to personal
attacks. I even agree with your goal somewhat, just not the current plan for
getting there, or many of your justifications for such. You will have much
better luck actually listening to others and working with them, instead of
just yelling louder and slinging mud.

As stated however, I strongly agree with Owen that this current policy is a
nightmare for the community as written.

-Blake