[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-151 IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Wed May 18 14:47:59 EDT 2011

On May 18, 2011, at 11:43 AM, John Santos wrote:

> On Wed, 18 May 2011, ARIN wrote:
>
>>     - The source entity will be ineligible to receive any further IPv4
>>       address allocations or assignments from ARIN for a period of 12
>>       months after the transfer, or until the exhaustion of ARIN's
>>       IPv4 space, whichever occurs first.
>
> I don't understand the intent of the "or until the exhaustion of ARIN's
> IPv4 space" clause.  Once ARIN is out of space, the eligibility of the
> source organization to receive more IPv4 is moot.

Well, no, it isnt moot. That's the whole issue we're debating.

Right now in order to effect a transfer, the recipient must demonstrate need to ARIN, which ARIN evaluates using either a 3-month or 12-month need horizon, depending on the recipient's status.

I think the intent here is that once ARIN Is out, we change how we do things. We might want to actually define exhaustion as "ARIN does not have enough space to fulfill <X>" however.

Matthew Kaufman