[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-151 Limiting Needs Requirements for IPv4 Transfers

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Wed May 18 15:01:08 EDT 2011

On Wed, 18 May 2011, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> On May 18, 2011, at 11:43 AM, John Santos wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 18 May 2011, ARIN wrote:
> >
> >>     - The source entity will be ineligible to receive any further IPv4
> >>       address allocations or assignments from ARIN for a period of 12
> >>       months after the transfer, or until the exhaustion of ARIN's
> >>       IPv4 space, whichever occurs first.
> >
> > I don't understand the intent of the "or until the exhaustion of ARIN's
> > IPv4 space" clause.  Once ARIN is out of space, the eligibility of the
> > source organization to receive more IPv4 is moot.
>
> Well, no, it isnt moot. That's the whole issue we're debating.

How can an org receive "further IPv4 address allocations *FROM* *ARIN*"
if ARIN is exhausted?  This clause says nothing about receiving addresses
by buying them on the market.  It is explicitly about getting addresses
from ARIN.

> Right now in order to effect a transfer, the recipient must demonstrate
need to ARIN, which ARIN evaluates using either a 3-month or 12-month need
horizon, depending on the recipient's status.

> I think the intent here is that once ARIN Is out, we change how we do
things. We might want to actually define exhaustion as "ARIN does not
have enough space to fulfill <X>" however.

The point is, this will be a temporary condition.  It might phase shift
several times as exhaustion occurs.  (Eventually, in much more than 12
months, IPv4 will no longer matter, and ARIN will probably accumulate
lots of abandoned IPv4, but that's not what I'm concerned about.)

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.