[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-151 IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Wed May 18 14:43:59 EDT 2011

On Wed, 18 May 2011, ARIN wrote:

>      - The source entity will be ineligible to receive any further IPv4
>        address allocations or assignments from ARIN for a period of 12
>        months after the transfer, or until the exhaustion of ARIN's
>        IPv4 space, whichever occurs first.

I don't understand the intent of the "or until the exhaustion of ARIN's
IPv4 space" clause.  Once ARIN is out of space, the eligibility of the
source organization to receive more IPv4 is moot.  However, if ARIN
were to acquire more space subsequently (e.g. through reclaimation or
return), this clause would make the source instantly eligible to
receive that space.  On the other hand, if ARIN still had a couple of
/24s, it would not technically be exhausted, so the 12 month hold
period would continue to apply to the source organization, even if
someone subsequently returned a /8.

Unless there is some rational reason for resetting the clock on ARIN
exhaustion, I think everything after "12 months after the transfer" should
be stricken.

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.