[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu May 12 17:14:10 EDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 1:56 PM, Mike Burns wrote:

> There has been some talk on the list both in support of ARIN's needs analysis procedures, and some talk to the effect that it can be gamed.
> Incentives towards gaming will only increase along with value of IP address space.

Mike -

  I'll actually disagree with the presumption that incentives towards
  gaming will increase with the value of IP address space, if we are
  considering a transfer market with needs-based qualification.  While
  it is true that there might be incentive to get creative with the
  total expressed need to obtain more space than otherwise qualified
  for, the existence of a market (if properly functioning) means that
  there is some reassurance that additional space will more likely be
  available when needed in the future, even if at a slightly increased
  price. This actually reduces the pressure to try and game the system
  when compared with the present environment and potential that there
  will be no more resources in the free pool when you come back later.

  The other potential form of gaming would by a non-operator speculator,
  who wishes to participate in the market (despite having no actual need
  at all), and so needs to fabricate imaginary need to be able to obtain
  IP space from the market for subsequent monetization.  While there is no
  doubt of the incentives involved, there is also significant risk since
  intangible IP registration entries are readily corrected in such cases
  of fraudulent representations to the registry.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO