[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Thu May 12 16:56:16 EDT 2011

Hi Chris,

> That's an interesting dynamic. In scarcity market, where an IP Address
> might have significant financial value, what's to prevent dishonest actors
> from simply "manufacturing" need in order to gain said resources?
>
> Hypothetically, if and IP Address costs $.25 each.....what would stop an
> actor from creating an "ip enabled virtual pet rock"  project where each
> "virtual pet rock" cost $.05 each and manufacturing a plausible rationale
> for why each such "virtual pet rock" required a routable public IP...and
> then grabbing up as much space as they could afford?
>
> It strikes me that all a "needs" based regulatory system would accomplish
> under such conditions would be to force the regulatory agency (ARIN) into
> some very problematic and somewhat arbitrary decision making on what
> projects constituted "legitimate need" and which didn't.....and would
> essentially weight the system in favor of those who were more experienced
> at "gaming" the system.
>
> A scarcity market would definitely seem to create a different dynamic then
> what would exist were the resource in plentiful supply.
>

> Christopher Engel
> (representing only my own personal views)

I would think ARIN would only issue the IPs based on actual sales of the pet
rocks. Pet Rocks! You must be old! ;-)
But your point is well taken by me, at least.
There has been some talk on the list both in support of ARIN's needs
analysis procedures, and some talk to the effect that it can be gamed.
Incentives towards gaming will only increase along with value of IP address
space.

Regards,

Mike