[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Thu May 12 17:25:16 EDT 2011

Ola John,

>  I'll actually disagree with the presumption that incentives towards
>  gaming will increase with the value of IP address space, if we are
>  considering a transfer market with needs-based qualification.  While
>  it is true that there might be incentive to get creative with the
>  total expressed need to obtain more space than otherwise qualified
>  for, the existence of a market (if properly functioning) means that
>  there is some reassurance that additional space will more likely be
>  available when needed in the future, even if at a slightly increased
>  price. This actually reduces the pressure to try and game the system
>  when compared with the present environment and potential that there
>  will be no more resources in the free pool when you come back later.

> The other potential form of gaming would by a non-operator speculator,
>  who wishes to participate in the market (despite having no actual need
>  at all), and so needs to fabricate imaginary need to be able to obtain
>  IP space from the market for subsequent monetization.  While there is no
>  doubt of the incentives involved, there is also significant risk since
>  intangible IP registration entries are readily corrected in such cases
>  of fraudulent representations to the registry.

If the needs requirement can not be met by the buyer, he will have the
incentive to game the needs requirement.
If the value of the addresses at question are higher, the incentive will be
higher, to my mind.

But you are absolutely correct in that having a vibrant and functioning
market is the best way to assuage fears of future supply shocks and
attendant price increases.

And you are correct in that the incentive to game the system for allocations
from the free pool is reaching its highest point in the months to come.
Pray be diligent!

As far as what you term a non-operator speculator, you see the risk of
gaming the needs analysis.
The same risks lead to not-notifying ARIN and continuing to use the
addresses under the purchaser's name, leaving Whois in more disarray.

Regards,
Mike