[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-149 Improved Transparency for Directed Transfers

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Thu May 12 16:59:00 EDT 2011

On Thu, 12 May 2011, ARIN wrote:

> 8.3.a  In order to provide greater transparency in the transfer process
> and provide the community the best set of tools to make routing
> decisions as prefix disaggregation increases as a result of the transfer
> market, ARIN shall maintain and publish a list of all prefixes
> transfered under section 8.3. The list will identify the original prefix
> and each subordinate prefix transferred under this policy and the date
> each prefix was transferred.

If the same prefix is transfered multiple times, will the historical
record be maintained?  E.G. org A transfers to org B on date 1, and
then org B transfers to org C on date 2, would both transfers be
reflected in the list?

If org B disaggregated the prefix and transfered part of it to org C
and part to org D, would all 3 transfers be reflected in the list
(A -> B, B -> C, B -> D)?

Would how org A acquired the prefix in the first place, and whether it
was a larger prefix than what it transfered to org B, also be reflected
in the list, or is this information already available some place else,
such as in whois, and thus redundant?

I think it is important to include exactly what information is to be
maintained in the policy proposal, or we may find out it is not as
useful as hoped.

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.