[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-149 Improved Transparency for Directed Transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 12 19:31:21 EDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 1:59 PM, John Santos wrote:

> On Thu, 12 May 2011, ARIN wrote:
>
>> 8.3.a  In order to provide greater transparency in the transfer process
>> and provide the community the best set of tools to make routing
>> decisions as prefix disaggregation increases as a result of the transfer
>> market, ARIN shall maintain and publish a list of all prefixes
>> transfered under section 8.3. The list will identify the original prefix
>> and each subordinate prefix transferred under this policy and the date
>> each prefix was transferred.
>
> If the same prefix is transfered multiple times, will the historical
> record be maintained?  E.G. org A transfers to org B on date 1, and
> then org B transfers to org C on date 2, would both transfers be
> reflected in the list?

That would certainly be the intent, though I guess I need to clarify
the policy language to reflect that more accurately. Thanks for
pointing this out.

> If org B disaggregated the prefix and transfered part of it to org C
> and part to org D, would all 3 transfers be reflected in the list
> (A -> B, B -> C, B -> D)?

Again, my intent is for ALL transfers to be reflected, so, yes, that
should show up in the record. Look for language to clarify this
intent shortly.

> Would how org A acquired the prefix in the first place, and whether it
> was a larger prefix than what it transfered to org B, also be reflected
> in the list, or is this information already available some place else,
> such as in whois, and thus redundant?

Since the list would include the original prefix and each subordinate
prefix transfered, yes, that is required under the current wording.

For example, if A held 192.0.0.0/16 and transferred 192.0.2.0/24
to B, that should be reflected (at a minimum) as:

192.0.0.0/16 partially transferred 5/12/2011 as 192.0.2.0/24

> I think it is important to include exactly what information is to be
> maintained in the policy proposal, or we may find out it is not as
> useful as hoped.

Does the above work for you, or, is there more or less information
that you would like to see?

Owen