[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 5 17:35:42 EDT 2011

On May 5, 2011, at 12:03 PM, Jeffrey Lyon wrote:

>> If you can somehow convince me that more open transfer policies
>> would reduce, rather than inflict pain upon the community, then, I
>> would support them.
>>
>> Owen
>>

> The basic arguments in support of free markets, generally, have been
> made. You're accustomed to a system which has always worked well, so
> you don't see a reason to change it. I don't really see a benefit to
> trying to change your mind as I don't believe that you will view this
> as a good idea unless you actually were to see it at work.

I think this is likely correct.

In general, however, I think that my experience with market dysfunction
and my perspective there is not limited to IPv4 markets.

> You are perhaps one of the most substantial and well known IPv6
> proponents in the world, as is your employer. Naturally, you're going
> to see IPv6 as the solution rather than free markets. Your employer is
> going to be one of the very few companies that will not suffer from
> IPv4 exhaustion so I don't expect you to want to support a measure
> that would prolong the life of IPv4.

Au contraire. I am all for reducing the pain of IPv4 as much as possible
and my role on the AC is not governed by what will benefit me personally
or what will benefit my employer. I think if you review my record on
PPML and on the AC you will find that I have consistently voted for
what I thought was best for the community even when I have expressed
the fact that a contrary vote would benefit myself or my employer.

If I thought that a more open IPv4 market would reduce pain in the
industry in general, I would support it. However, my observation and
experience with laissez faire markets in other endeavors has led me
to believe that as applied to this situation such a market would
increase, not reduce the pain felt by the community overall.

> We both support IPv6. The major difference is that you started a
> decade ago and I started one year ago. Accordingly, I am more
> sympathetic to companies who have not made the appropriate plans.

You may be more sympathetic, but, I doubt you are any more willing
to help them in any way feasible. I would be happy to help them
through more liberalized transfer policies if I felt that would help
them. My belief at this time is that the reverse is true, that it would
harm more than help.

Owen