[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

Jeffrey Lyon jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net
Thu May 5 15:03:18 EDT 2011

> If you can somehow convince me that more open transfer policies
> would reduce, rather than inflict pain upon the community, then, I
> would support them.
>
> Owen

The basic arguments in support of free markets, generally, have been
made. You're accustomed to a system which has always worked well, so
you don't see a reason to change it. I don't really see a benefit to
trying to change your mind as I don't believe that you will view this
as a good idea unless you actually were to see it at work.

You are perhaps one of the most substantial and well known IPv6
proponents in the world, as is your employer. Naturally, you're going
to see IPv6 as the solution rather than free markets. Your employer is
going to be one of the very few companies that will not suffer from
IPv4 exhaustion so I don't expect you to want to support a measure
that would prolong the life of IPv4.

We both support IPv6. The major difference is that you started a
decade ago and I started one year ago. Accordingly, I am more
sympathetic to companies who have not made the appropriate plans.

--
Jeffrey Lyon, Leadership Team
jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net | http://www.blacklotus.net