[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 5 14:54:53 EDT 2011

On May 5, 2011, at 11:45 AM, Jeffrey Lyon wrote:

>> I was fine with the fuel rationing. I would be fine with it again if I could
>> get my fuel for $0.79/gallon again.
>>
>> Owen
>>

> Owen,
>
> Would it be fair to say that you don't support free markets and leave
> it alone there? I could spend all day expressing my thoughts on how
> horribly bad that would be, but it's not entirely relevant to PPML.

Not at all... I fully support properly regulated free markets where they
make sense and can be functional. I simply don't believe that IPv4
policy is such a case.

> I'm really not trying to attack your political values, just establish
> your particular flavor of bias.

Understood. I like to think that I am not particularly biased, but, rather
considering the issue based on what I perceive the implications of
the policy changes to be and their likely outcomes.

I am the first to admit I may well be imperfect in this regard, but, my
opposition to free-er market transfers comes from my anticipation
that they will lead to increased pain for the members of the community
rather than my own particular political leanings.

If you can somehow convince me that more open transfer policies
would reduce, rather than inflict pain upon the community, then, I
would support them.

Owen