[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Thu May 5 15:08:03 EDT 2011

On 5/5/2011 11:54 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> If you can somehow convince me that more open transfer policies
> would reduce, rather than inflict pain upon the community, then, I
> would support them.

This particular policy proposal reduces the pain on recent and new
entrants in exchange for what might be a very slight additional pain (in
that the recent and new entrants would be bidding against them) on the
existing holders of IPv4 space who might need more.

I'm concerned that when you say "the community" you mean "people who've
had IPv4 space for a long time" or even "ISP members of ARIN".

Note that even concerns about routing table size increases (which this
policy either won't affect or will actually cause reductions by reducing
the number of transfers needed by a new or existing entrant) are really
a pain experienced primarily by long-time ISP members (who have more
routers holding full tables)... and so any talk about how routing table
size increases hurt "the community" clearly shows this bias.

Matthew Kaufman