[arin-ppml] Fw: Accusation of fundamental conflictofinterest/IPaddress policy pitched directly to ICANN

John Sweeting john.sweeting at gmail.com
Tue May 3 14:46:39 EDT 2011


On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:

>  *
> It really is as easy as rounding up all the support you can muster, have
> that support join PPML, submit the proposal that you would like see made
> policy and then have your support show their support through PPML and the
> next PPM. Is there a reason you do not want to follow that process? It might
> help gain support if you provided your underlying motivation(s).
> -John Sweeting
> *
> Hi John,
>
> My interest is in having a market for the buying and selling of IP
> addresses free from government and psuedo-government restrictions like taxes
> and justification requirements.
> I think this will best serve the interests of a community long held in
> thrall to the vision of an IPv6 transition that simply has not occurred in
> anything like the predicted timeframe.
> I would prefer that any support I find not be motivated by perceptions of
> my motivations, just my words and ideas.
>

Thanks for sharing this.

>
> I voiced support for the concept of having a informed higher authority make
> the decision about competing registries requested in the letter which
> started the thread. I support competing registries because I believe that
> their competitive forces will move the market towards freedom, and because
> presumably a competing registry could decide its own, more liberal transfer
> policy.
>
> My understanding is that one way to get that accomplished, and I will
> accede it would be the better way, would be for the participants in policy
> making in all 5 RIRs come together to forge a policy allowing for competing
> private registries.
>
> But I think that is like expecting Network Solutions to have voted
> for competing DNS registrars. Unlikely to happen due to institutional
> conflicts of interest.
> (I understand that NetSol was not a community run org like the RIRs, but  I
> see a natural institutional conflict between those who dominate a
> closed market and those who seek to expand it.)
>

Understand.


> (And yes, this is also a commentary on the tiny number of participants who
> seem to people the RIR executive positions, and by extension the tiny groups
> of vocal participants in the RIR-PPML process.)
>

The AC would love to see participation from a greater number of participants
as well, it helps us when we are working on policies. One thing I have
noticed over the years that when things start to go against the majority's
wishes, they do speak up.


> (And yes, I have lost trust in ARIN staff since the MS/Nortel debacle)
>

Sorry to hear that but for me, not knowing all the facts and intricacies
involved, my respect and trust for ARIN staff has grown. I do not know of a
professional organization that takes their commitment to their members any
more seriously than the folks at ARIN.

>
> But nobody seems too sure what that higher authority is, and of course some
> participants see the community of RIR-PPML participants as the highest
> authority of all.
>

I, for one, echo that sentiment but would expand it to the whole of the
world community as PPML is just one vehicle for getting your voice heard.

>
> I didn't write that letter, nor do I have any relationship with the writer
> of the letter, to my knowledge I have never met, conversed, or emailed with
> him.
>
> As for changing policy in the ARIN region, that is my intent, and I have
> heard from another poster who is interested in co-sponsoring a proposal
> designed to create a free market for ip transfers.
>

That is great, looking forward to seeing your proposal. Thank you for
participating.

>
> So I will work with him to do just as you say, round up support and see if
> we can get a proposal that passes muster with the PPML and can be included
> in the next PPM.
>

Very good and thanks again.

-john

>
> Regards,
>
> Mike Burns
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20110503/33f3895e/attachment.html>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list