[arin-ppml] RIR distribution of legacy addresses

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Jun 2 08:13:03 EDT 2011

On Jun 2, 2011, at 1:47 AM, Benson Schliesser wrote:

> Hi, John.
>
> The message forwarded below was sent to the APNIC sig-policy mailing list this evening (or morning, as it may be in AP region).  It seems to describe APNIC behavior regarding redistribution of "historical resources", and indicates that APNIC does not redistribute ERX Legacy address resources.  Apparently, from the text of this message, the APNIC view of these address resources is that they should be returned to IANA.

Benson -

That is not a correct summary of the "APNIC view of these address resources", i.e.
if you read the full APNIC sig-policy thread on this topic, you will see that Sanjaya
from APNIC earlier stated:

" • 4,686,848 addresses (approximately 0.28 x /8) are historical address
     blocks returned to APNIC, which are being held until there is clear
     guidance from global policy. "

ARIN would also welcome global policy guidance in handling of returned address
blocks (as I have stated on record at several recent RIR meetings).  We also have
local policy development active as well in this area, i..e, ARIN-2011-6.

Traditionally, all address blocks returned to ARIN smaller than /8 have been made
available for use in the ARIN region, and all address blocks of /8 returned to ARIN
have been returned to IANA.  Note - there is also an RIR-agreed procedure at the
IANA which is applicable to the return of legacy /8 allocations -
<http://www.iana.org/procedures/updating-legacy-classa.html>

FYI,
/John

John Curran