[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-154 Shared Space for IPv4 Address Extension (w/IETF considerations) - Staff Comments

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 14:20:46 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 12:18 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> Policy proposal ARIN-prop-154 does not result in a materially different
> Internet number resource management policy from the Draft Policy 2011-5
> (which is already within the ARIN Policy Development Process and is before
> the Board of Trustees having been recommended for adoption by the ARIN AC.)

Prop 154 does result in a materially different policy;  prop 154 requires
ARIN cede management of the reserved /10,  if an RFC is published.
2011-05 does not allow ARIN to do that.

154 requires use of address space to be discouraged until the IETF can
provide technical assessment.

Even if 2011-05 is accepted, there will still be some merit to
considering PROP 154
as a policy revising 2011-05.

> ARIN-prop-154 does propose a procedure for implementation of the policy
> change and the suggested procedure for implementation will be provided to
> the ARIN Board of Trustees for their ongoing consideration of Draft Policy
> 2011-5 (regardless of the disposition of ARIN-prop-154.)

I don't see an implementation procedure in PROP 154.
I see requirements that the implementation procedure must meet,
and an authorization to work with the IETF on specific items.

> As the policy proposal in ARIN-prop-154 overlaps significantly with
> an existing Draft Policy already in the Policy Development Process and
> recommended for adoption, it is the staff position that ARIN-prop-154
> is outside the scope of the the ARIN Policy Development Process PDP

I do not agree with the stated Staff position on 154,
and I strongly disagree that 154 should be abandoned by the AC
on the basis of scope.

--
-JH