[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-154 Shared Space for IPv4 Address Extension (w/IETF considerations) - Staff Comments

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jul 6 01:18:52 EDT 2011

On Jul 5, 2011, at 9:03 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I am concerned that there may or may not be a /10 block available by the time
> IETF receives sufficient application of a clue-bat from the operational community
> to finally address the situation in a manner consistent with the continued operation
> of the internet. There is nothing in what I have seen of IETF behavior on the matter
> to date to lead me to believe that they will promptly act in a favorable manner until
> operators become so desperate to resolve the situation as to overwhelm the current
> IETF entrenched religion with new participants from the operational community.

At the point in time where such a /10 block would become no longer available,
I will recommend to the ARIN Board that we hold such space in reserve to allow
implementation of 2011-5 (which remains under advisement), and I'd expect them
to approve that as long as there is ongoing engagement with the IETF on this
matter.

FYI,
/John

John Curran