[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-155 IPv4 Number Resources for Use Within Region

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Jul 2 12:54:20 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Robert E. Seastrom
<ppml at rs.seastrom.com> wrote:
> William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> writes:
>> It costs less than $5000/year to establish and maintain a US
>> corporation.
>
> It can be done for an order of magnitude less.

Hi Robert,

Not really.

If you're dotting the i's and crossing the t's there are going to be
federal, state and local filings to stay on top of as well as state
and local licensing fees. You'll need a local lawyer to handle all of
this for you and he charges by the hour. He'll need an accountant to
prepare and file the nominal taxes. You're also going to need a local
mail drop that forwards received mail to you, preferably not an
obvious PO box number. You'll need a vonage phone with a local number.
You'll need someone to host an email forwarding service based
in-region. And you'll need a domain name and web site describing a
generic network consulting service with businessy art so that your
address application doesn't throw any red flags.

When all is said and done, it takes several thousand dollars a year to
create and maintain the shell company.

>> If I'm a French or Japanese telco, what policy stops me from creating
>> a Delaware ISP subsidiary whose sole existence is acquiring ARIN IP
>> addresses and assigning them for well documented use in my European or
>> Asian operations?
>
> You tell me.  ;-)

No policy that I'm aware of.

Regards,