[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-155 IPv4 Number Resources for Use Within Region

Robert E. Seastrom ppml at rs.seastrom.com
Sun Jul 3 10:19:12 EDT 2011

William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Robert E. Seastrom
> <ppml at rs.seastrom.com> wrote:
>> William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> writes:
>>> It costs less than $5000/year to establish and maintain a US
>>> corporation.
>>
>> It can be done for an order of magnitude less.
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> Not really.
>
> If you're dotting the i's and crossing the t's there are going to be
> federal, state and local filings to stay on top of as well as state
> and local licensing fees. You'll need a local lawyer to handle all of
> this for you and he charges by the hour. He'll need an accountant to
> prepare and file the nominal taxes. You're also going to need a local
> mail drop that forwards received mail to you, preferably not an
> obvious PO box number. You'll need a vonage phone with a local number.
> You'll need someone to host an email forwarding service based
> in-region. And you'll need a domain name and web site describing a
> generic network consulting service with businessy art so that your
> address application doesn't throw any red flags.
>
> When all is said and done, it takes several thousand dollars a year to
> create and maintain the shell company.

That's a good point; I was thinking solely of the corporate
maintenance aspects of the 501(c)3 for which I'm treasurer.  Our phone
lines don't get counted since we need them anyway, our PO box isn't
factored in since we need it anyway...  we're not trying to create an
illusion here, it's just What We Do.

Even if you factor in all those costs of completing the illusion, it's
chump change for someone who needs the addresses though.

>>> If I'm a French or Japanese telco, what policy stops me from creating
>>> a Delaware ISP subsidiary whose sole existence is acquiring ARIN IP
>>> addresses and assigning them for well documented use in my European or
>>> Asian operations?
>>
>> You tell me.  ;-)
>
> No policy that I'm aware of.

-r