[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-155 IPv4 Number Resources for Use Within Region

Robert E. Seastrom ppml at rs.seastrom.com
Sat Jul 2 11:06:05 EDT 2011

William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 3:24 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
>> ARIN-prop-155 IPv4 Number Resources for Use Within Region
>
> Oppose as written.

I wrote this proposal as a starting point, and expected plenty of
spirited discussion surrounding it.  Didn't expect that it would be
quite so overwhelmingly "oppose", but those are the breaks.

Unfortunately there are no easy answers to a lot of the concerns that
folks have raised as reasons for opposing it.  It would be extremely
easy to go down the rat-hole of trying to dictate operational
constraints by making the policy statement 4x as large, and what would
happen is that ultimately some creative person would figure out a
loophole and all of our efforts would be for naught until the next
policy cycle, at which point we'd probably be overtaken by events.
The Board doesn't like such policy proposals and will surely remand
them for further discussion, at which point we end up kind of hosed
because of the aforementioned cycle.

I believe that we ought to have a policy to address the situation you
elucidate below.  That's why I wrote this proposal.  Sussing out where
the community wants to take this (or even if collectively we want to
ignore the rising tide of opportunities for abuse and just be
fatalistic about v4 exhaustion) is part of the whole point of the PDP.
Discussion and modification encouraged.

> However, I do think Robert has identified a legitimate problem.

As much as I would like to take credit for original thought, word on
the street is that others have already "identified" it.  :-(

> It costs less than $5000/year to establish and maintain a US
> corporation.

It can be done for an order of magnitude less.

> If I'm a French or Japanese telco, what policy stops me from creating
> a Delaware ISP subsidiary whose sole existence is acquiring ARIN IP
> addresses and assigning them for well documented use in my European or
> Asian operations?

You tell me.  ;-)

cheers,

-r