[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jan 21 14:31:22 EST 2011

On Jan 21, 2011, at 10:31 AM, George Bonser wrote:

>> The sunset is built into NAT444 itself, because it breaks stuff:
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-donley-nat444-impacts-01. Folks will
>> only do it as long as they have to (and they will have to, regardless
>> of this block being available).
>>
>> ~Chris
>>
>> PS - It is probably not a coincidence that one of the folks who has
>> done a bulk of the research on NAT444 authored this proposal.
>
> Isn't this basically the same proposal that APNIC turned down and
> referred to IETF who then turned it down as well?  Basically you end up
> with a system in place that allows v4 communications only between places
> in North America and only between operators who choose to deploy it?
>
> It still doesn't guarantee you will be able to communicate with anyone
> outside of North America.

Uh, no...

This space is intended sort of like RFC-1918, a new private address space
to provide private addresses for that layer between the residential
NAT gateway exterior to reach the interior interface of the carriers NAT
box.

It would not be limited to use in North America, it could be used globally
by any carrier for that purpose. It could also be used by other private
networks that don't need to reach carrier NATs, though I don't see much
benefit to that particular application.

Owen