[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Fri Jan 21 15:03:15 EST 2011

[WES] I maintain that there is also C) 1918 space that is not being used by
standard CPE devices by default and D) a subset of the provider's *existing*
IPv4 space.
I remain unconvinced that providers will be able to justify a significant
amount of new space to make B happen on account of needing to do NAT444.

> In the event that B transpires, there is exactly 0 gain to any ISP for
> sharing and many many downsides if they do.

[WES] Please explain this. Why would there be no gain for an ISP to acquire
and share addresses with other similarly situated ISPs *without* ARIN
formally reserving it, but somehow it's a great and wonderful thing *with*
ARIN (or IETF/IANA)'s blessing? They can just as easily populate the right
info in whois making it clear that this is a shared block as ARIN can...

Wes George