[arin-ppml] Semi-serious proposal to start 2011

Lee Howard spiffnolee at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 13:17:01 EST 2011

----- Original Message ----

Proposal template is here: https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp_appendix_b.txt

> The useless efforts to micromanage  the end of
> the pool are not doing anyone any good,

For certain values of "any."

> and certainly not  motivating the
> deployment of IPv6 as much as a solid 'sorry we have no more'  answer from
> ARIN would.

Many organizations are making progress on deploying IPv6, but it is not a
quick process.  Compare various scenarios of companies needing one year
to deploy:

1.  Company has started and needs six more months.  You would cause them
six months of unnecessary pain?
2.  Company is just starting, will have six months of pain.  You would increase
that to a full year?
3.  Company won't start until runout.  They'll have a year of pain.  But their
year would overlap with the pain of the above two companies--there's no
competitor able to take over their business.

> It is time to stop focusing on the past and  just let it go.

I know it's been a long time, and people who were involved in IPng are
tired of it.  But there's a lot of work to be done this year--let's give people

chance to do it.

Lee