[arin-ppml] Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon Jan 3 12:51:28 EST 2011

I oppose 125

On 12/27/2010 11:16 AM, Jason Schiller wrote:
> Leo.  This was certainly not my intention.  I think the scenerio you
> describe is acceptable, but difficult to monitor for abuse.

I know I'm late on this thread, but you expect ARIN to actually monitor
A/AAAA records and somehow figure out abuse? Are we to give ARIN access
to every box so they can confirm that there is a v6 address on the box
as well? What about the millions of boxes which don't use A/AAAA records
or need them?

125 proposes something that ARIN has no way of enforcing (which is
probably one reason it was tossed). In addition, it's overly restrictive
for those who do follow the rules.

There are still plenty of interfaces that have no need, nor can support,
IPv6. Perhaps it's changed, but MPLS wasn't working with v6, management
of CPE sure as heck doesn't need v6 in the short term.

Finally, dual-stack is not the only migration technology. For ARIN to
enforce one migration method over another will only hinder v6 migration.

Jack