[arin-ppml] Semi-serious proposal to start 2011

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 11:21:07 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Tony Hain <alh-ietf at tndh.net> wrote:
> David Williamson wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 09:18:24AM -0800, Tony Hain wrote:
>> > There is a simple way to deal with all the list noise on pp124 & 125,
>> as
>> > well as reduce the wasted time and energy of the ARIN staff while we
>> are at
>> > it .... Transfer all remaining ARIN IPv4 resources in a split between
>> Lacnic
>> > & Afrinic today, and move on. The useless efforts to micromanage the
>> end of
>> > the pool are not doing anyone any good, and certainly not motivating
>> the
>> > deployment of IPv6 as much as a solid 'sorry we have no more' answer
>> from
>> > ARIN would.
>> >
>> > It is time to stop focusing on the past and just let it go.
>>
>> An interesting idea, but what gives us the right to foist the problem
>> off on to them?  If the remaining ARIN IPv4 space is contentious for
>> us, what would it do in those regions?
>
> That was more about the perpetual claims about historical unfairness that
> ARIN has more blocks. Also, if they hold to their regional burn rates, they
> will never use them up to become contentious because the global Internet
> will have long since given up on IPv4.

That's vacuous fundamentalism. Thinking strictly about volume
(addresses and currency) without thinking of need. If the people
whispering that old argument want to have a fairness debate they
should discuss why various-registries was carved up evenly despite the
differentiating need across the regions. But as you say, it is most
definitely water under the bridge.

>> Perhaps the best move is to just run it out.  That may yet happen - I
>> don't see much chance of broadly supported policy passing before "the
>> end".
>
> I didn't bother with a template because it would just cause unnecessary work
> for the AC.

Thank you. This would've ended up as a ceremonial piglet with a short
line of suitors trying to apply multiple shades of lipstick. I think
we have better things to do.

Best,

-M<