[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Feb 15 18:01:06 EST 2011

On Feb 15, 2011, at 5:50 PM, John Santos wrote:

> I am in the exact same situation as Eric.  Legacy /24, no RSA nor LRSA,
> not really clear on the exact obligations and restrictions on my
> original assignment, but I have a pretty clear sense of what was
> expected, including maintaining current POC, WHOIS and RDNS info,
> and that the assignment was for use, not a windfall that I could just
> sell to someone else if I didn't need it any more.

That's a good summary of many legacy holders expectations (at least as
I understand it from speaking with just a few of them...), but I should
note that in the ARIN region that last line has actually been modified
per community-developed policy, in that you may transfer the assignment
to another party which qualifies per the current allocation policies.
This means, in effect, you could get a "windfall" from the assignment,
except it may not be much of a windfall given the work of renumbering
that you might have to go through to free up the block.  This was seen
as a reasonable tradeoff by the community, but is still short of the
"you can do anything you like with it, it's yours" policy proposals
that are now in vogue.

FYI,
/John

John Curran