[arin-ppml] "Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Sun Feb 6 21:50:40 EST 2011

On 2/6/2011 7:29 PM, George Bonser wrote:

> I have an upstream announcing>3500 /30 and /32 to me by BGP even though
> they are part of larger aggregates that I hear from no other source
> (aggregates smaller than /24).  I called them on Friday about it
> thinking maybe I would give them a "heads up" thinking maybe their
> aggregation was broken.  They told me that was intentional.  So I am now
> filtering them.

Some policies are strange. To be honest, though, /24 is the standard
unless you're receiving directly from your transit, and while I know
there are quite a few networks (unfortunately some of the largest) which
deaggregate on a massive scale, I would say that most ASNs advertise at
the highest aggregation possible.

I'm personally sad that I'm having to start advertising 5 new /23 routes
as 2 of my ISP customers are multihoming and aren't aggregated (IPv4
didn't allow for any growth when I assigned to them).

Thanks for reminding me to check, though. I screwed a bgp config up.
Currently (and never do this, I just haven't finished fixing it), I flag
to not send routes out (instead of flagging to send them), and a screwup
deaggregated a route.

67.207.230.0/23      4777 2516 3356 8025  - Withdrawn - matching aggregate 67.207.224.0/19 4777 2516 3356 8025

^--- errr, neighbor x.x.x.x send-communities please. :)

Jack