[arin-ppml] Borders sells their /16 block

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Dec 7 15:01:19 EST 2011

On Dec 7, 2011, at 3:14 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> Why don't we just go back to the court documents and reference where
> each have said 'while we don't necessarily need to deal with ARIN'

Incorrect.

In Nortel, the actual court document was approved only with affirmation
that the recipient had entered into a registration services agreement
with ARIN.  See prior posting to Mike for the specific references.

In Kremen, the Court cited as fact in its Order ARIN's representations:

“All U.S., Canadian and other IP resources (a portion of ARIN's geographical service area) are administered in a public trust by ARIN pursuant to a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. government.  Because IP address space is finite and a public trust, IP resources are allocated to registrants subject to contractual terms and ARIN's policies.  IP resources are allocated by ARIN pursuant to the terms of a services agreement, which obligates registrants to comply with ARIN's Internet Protocol address space allocation and assignment guidelines… IP resources may be only transferred from one entity to another pursuant to the terms of ARIN's Guidelines for Transferring Internet Protocol (IP) Space… and subject to ARIN's Transfer Policy…Among other things, the Guidelines provide that IP resources are non-transferable, may not be sold or assigned and may only be transferred upon ARIN's approval of a formal transfer request.”

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO