[arin-ppml] Borders sells their /16 block

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 14:14:24 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 1:32 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2011, at 2:20 PM, John Curran wrote:
>
>> On Dec 7, 2011, at 2:12 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:
>>
>>> To an extent, this has been acknowledged by the US courts as they've recognized the exclusive rights of a seller to transfer IP addresses as an asset.
>>
>> Benson -
>>
>>  Please provide a citation for the above, because I am not aware
>>  of any court ruling to this effect.  The only findings that I am
>>  aware of are rulings that support the sale of an address holders
>>  rights in an address block in a manner that does not interfere with
>>  ARIN and ARIN community's rights with respect to the address block.
>
> For the purposes of saving some time (since everyone is going to
> go looking for much of the same information), let me outline the
> Nortel/MSFT outcome

Why don't we just go back to the court documents and reference where
each have said 'while we don't necessarily need to deal with ARIN' and
of course the Kremens declaration. The recent change of tone sets the
stage for either grandiose posturing (backed by the accumulation of
our fees to the tune of $30M in reserves) or for a confrontation,
again backed by reserves. I don't believe that the community supports
this kind of activity against the legacy address markets myself.

Best,

-M<