[arin-ppml] An article of interest to the community....

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Aug 31 00:14:28 EDT 2011

On Aug 30, 2011, at 11:53 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2011, at 5:01 PM, "Mike Burns" <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> I'm an ARIN facilitator.
>> Can I run an auction today on eBay for address space?
>
> Sure you can. Of course the moment you do, that space is immediately suspected of being under-utilized and one would expect a Section 12 resource review to be in progress before the auction even closed. Particularly inconvenient if nobody meets your reserve.

Matthew -

   ARIN recognizes that the transfer policy is an approved
   method to bring resources back into community use; we do
   not initiate reclamation for lack of use against resources
   listed on incoming transfer requests, as this would run
   contrary to the intent of the policy.

> I do wonder how much space we could free up in the region today if people could advertise it's availability without this threat, and yet I believe the odds of removing all resource review and reclamation via the PDP is pretty much a non-starter, so I'm not going to waste my time with a policy proposal.

   I'll also note that LRSA also includes specific language
   which precludes reclamation for lack of use.  We also do
   not initiate reclamation for lack of use against parties
   when they begin the LRSA agreement process for similar
   reason.

   We do reclaim resources that are grossly underutilized
   (often completely unused) if such cases are brought to
   our attention and it does not appear that the address
   space is going to be put to use by the resource holder
   at all, e.g. address blocks which appear unused by all
   signs and with completely unresponsive contacts.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO