[arin-ppml] An article of interest to the community....

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Wed Aug 31 00:40:31 EDT 2011

On Aug 31, 2011, at 5:14 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2011, at 11:53 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>
>> On Aug 30, 2011, at 5:01 PM, "Mike Burns" <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Paul,
>>>
>>> I'm an ARIN facilitator.
>>> Can I run an auction today on eBay for address space?
>>
>> Sure you can. Of course the moment you do, that space is immediately suspected of being under-utilized and one would expect a Section 12 resource review to be in progress before the auction even closed. Particularly inconvenient if nobody meets your reserve.
>
> Matthew -
>
>   ARIN recognizes that the transfer policy is an approved
>   method to bring resources back into community use; we do
>   not initiate reclamation for lack of use against resources
>   listed on incoming transfer requests, as this would run
>   contrary to the intent of the policy.

I'm aware that incoming transfer requests are exempt from the scrutiny, but there has certainly been discussion here (and elsewhere) in the past to the effect of "I saw someone trying to sell address block <X> and so clearly they're not using it and so I've reported this as an underutilized block."

Whether or not that has or would cause ARIN to act on such a report, I can't know (except for your statement below)

One could imagine that if a block is listed for sale today and stays listed for many months, it probably isn't being utilized that well, absent a good story about how when the sale goes through they'll use the funds to actually renumber out of it.

>> I do wonder how much space we could free up in the region today if people could advertise it's availability without this threat, and yet I believe the odds of removing all resource review and reclamation via the PDP is pretty much a non-starter, so I'm not going to waste my time with a policy proposal.
>
>   I'll also note that LRSA also includes specific language
>   which precludes reclamation for lack of use.  We also do
>   not initiate reclamation for lack of use against parties
>   when they begin the LRSA agreement process for similar
>   reason.

Indeed. One additional point for the LRSA.

>   We do reclaim resources that are grossly underutilized
>   (often completely unused) if such cases are brought to
>   our attention and it does not appear that the address
>   space is going to be put to use by the resource holder
>   at all, e.g. address blocks which appear unused by all
>   signs and with completely unresponsive contacts.

So it sounds from this like right now, a report like I mentioned above would not result in reclamation, as presumably the contacts would be reachable at the very least (hard to sell something if nobody can contact the seller)

But will the definition of underutilized change as ARIN's free pool dries up? Some in the community have certainly called for that.

Matthew Kaufman

Sent from my iPad