[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-156 Update 8.3 to allow inter-RIR transfers

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Aug 24 16:01:29 EDT 2011

My reading of your techliberation article suggests to me that you are in favor of  "driving v4 address blocks out of the RIR system."

Not at all, I am trying to save the RIRs from themselves.
(Wish me luck, my damsel in distress hates my guts and seems to prefer the company of the fire-breathing dragon. Occasionally I am tempted to let her burn...but I usually chivalry prevails)

In terms of "thinking outside of the box" I'd be happy NOT to even entertain the notion of inter-regional transfers.  If we want the v6 transition to accelerate, there has got to be demand for v6.  If v4 is available, then that dampens the need for v6, no?

See what I mean?

No, Tim, erecting an artificial brick wall in the road to v4 availability will not push people into v6, given that adopting v6 in the intermediate term also requires more v4 under the dual stack transition approach. Trying to prevent any inter-regional transfers would be one of the most effective strategies ever to drive blocks out of the RIR system.