[arin-ppml] Internet 101: Collaboration (was -Microsoft receives court approval for transfer as agreed with ARIN)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Apr 30 21:06:23 EDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 2:13 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2011, at 8:59 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>> On 4/29/2011 8:49 PM, Michel Py wrote:
>>> it's about the gut
>>> reaction about a new recurring fee.
>>
>> Agree. This is why I don't have any end-user IPv6 space of my own still. Sure, I'd love to configure up my own globally-routable IPv6 across the local microwave IP network I have, but that particular hobby already uses more $/month out of the budget than I should be spending, so $100/year isn't going to go to ARIN for this. (Never mind that even with approximately zero IPv6 usage the initial fee discounts have mostly gone away).
>>
> I have an IPv6 direct assignment from ARIN and my fees to ARIN increased
> by exactly $0 per year as a result.

I don't. I coughed up the $500 a few years ago for an AS number to
multihome my legacy addresses and I pay the $100/year as a result. If
IPv6 usage ever takes off, I'll cough up the $1250 too, but $1250 is a
steep barrier to join a system whose current usage is, well,
negligible. I don't mean to imply the fee is unfair... it isn't. But
participation isn't yet worth it at that price.

My own complaints about the recurring fees ended abruptly when I
calculated how much it cost "everybody else" to support my
non-aggregable registration in the BGP table.
http://bill.herrin.us/network/bgpcost.html

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004