[arin-ppml] Internet 101: Collaboration (was -Microsoft receives court approval for transfer as agreed with ARIN)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Apr 30 11:28:40 EDT 2011

On Apr 30, 2011, at 8:08 AM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

>> I have an IPv6 direct assignment from ARIN and my fees to ARIN increased
>> by exactly $0 per year as a result.
>>
>> Owen
>>

> That's because your IPv4 network wasn't started so early that it can run using legacy address space, yes?
>
> Matthew Kaufman

Nope... My IPv4 network was started so early that it is constructed entirely from legacy space.

However, I chose to be a stand-up member of the community and voluntarily signed the LRSA
for my legacy resources because I think that the registration services that ARIN provides and
the community-based policy process are well worth the $100/year I am paying to ensure that
I continue to retain my registration of those legacy resources and that I can participate as an
active member of the community without feeling like my participation is disingenuous or
otherwise questionable.

Each legacy holder must make their own moral choice in this regard and I have nothing
against those who choose not to sign the LRSA, but, I don't feel that the $100/year
fee is unreasonable and I feel more secure in knowing that my legacy resources are
fully recognized and that there is no risk of future policy changes placing additional
burdens on my use of those resources outside of a very well defined and limited
set of things permitted by the LRSA.

Indeed, in my opinion, a careful reading of the LRSA compared to the various vagaries
of life without one seems to me that it places far more restrictions on ARIN than it
does on me as a legacy holder.

Owen

Full disclosure: If someone were to offer me $1,000 per IP address, I'd probably
sell off my /23 of legacy space under NRPM 8.3, but, I think that's unlikely and
I have no immediate plans to sell. Mostly I'd rather just keep using it in peace,
but, half a million dollars is a compelling enough number to make me consider
the possibility.