[arin-ppml] Statistics regarding NRPM 8.3 Transfers to date

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sat Apr 30 20:13:01 EDT 2011

On 30-Apr-11 10:40, Owen DeLong wrote:
> On Apr 30, 2011, at 8:29 AM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>> And then once you've justified 980 addresses to ARIN, you should clearly be able to use 8.3 transfers twice in a row, for two separate /23s... it wouldn't make much sense for ARIN to require you to resubmit all the justification paperwork you just sent them a few hours ago, would it?
> Again, I disagree. The intent of this phrase was to reduce the amount of disaggregation of the routing table that will be caused by transfers. Allowing this revolving door use of the transfer policy will increase disaggregation.

Imagine you qualify to receive a /23 but there are no /23s available on
the market.  AIUI, the policy's intent was to prohibit you buying half
of someone else's /22.  However, is there any harm in ARIN fulfilling
your request with my two disjoint /24s in that scenario?  Keep in mind
you could get my /24s (or one from me and one from someone else) anyway
via two separate transfer requests.

This interpretation, which could be creatively read into the policy
text, could easily explain the statistics recently posted and, IMHO,
doesn't violate the policy's intent or goals.