[arin-ppml] Transfer policy impact on routing aggregation

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Sat Apr 30 12:32:57 EDT 2011

On 4/30/2011 11:20 AM, John Curran wrote:
>    I think discussing this in more detail would help folks with
>    understanding various options for controlling the specified
>    transfer policy effects on route aggregation.

At this point, does it really matter? The practical issues of
disaggregation have more to do with ASN routing policies/practices than
allocations. While I agree that the RIR shouldn't compound the problem,
in the later stages of IPv4, I think it's unavoidable and will have
marginal effect. Obviously, retaining minimums of allocation size still
matters, but routing policies themselves generally assist in protecting
that boundary.

Jack
(buying 15million bgp routes, 8million forwarding path routers now,
rather than later)