[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 70, Issue 141

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Fri Apr 29 12:09:32 EDT 2011

> Is it possible that Microsoft would be able to demonstrate a need for
> much greater resources than was actually transfered?  I have little
> doubt that Microsoft, with their various initiatives, would not be able
> to show a reasonable business plan to justify even more resources.
> Would a valid justification for a /12 to ARIN that only got them 666K in
> this specific transfer (perhaps as many single aggregates(*)) change
> your view of the transaction?

Gary,

Microsoft could have bid for part of the pool of addresses if their
justification was smaller.
And one would have to assume that if theyr justification was larger, they
would submit an allocation request to ARIN.

I don't know if we can tell whether such an allocation to Microsoft out of
the available pool has occurred.

But this begs the question of why, if Microsoft could demonstrate need, did
they pay so much for addresses they could have had virtually for free.

Regards,

Mike