[arin-ppml] Microsoft receives court approval for transfer as agreed with ARIN

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Apr 27 22:35:29 EDT 2011

On Apr 27, 2011, at 9:06 PM, Michel Py wrote:

> As of ARIN, one of the parts that is troubling me is that ARIN used
> a PR firm to write these press releases.

No worry there; that task was mine because of the need for accuracy.

> This community has to come to understand the reality that trading
> of IP addresses is happening right now, and that if the policies
> currently in placed have pushed John to take some liberties, it's
> because the policies are wrong.

The policies are what they are, and I have no trouble following
them as written.  It would be very convenient if those transferring
IP addresses were to consider the policies before initiating their
transaction, but that obviously wasn't the case this time around,
and my convenience isn't exactly the priority here.

What is important is insuring that these are indeed the policies we
want as a community, as they may not match common expectations of
parties getting involved in IP address trading. The result *is* going
to be discord, but that's not a problem as long as there is consensus
that we are on the right course.

/John

John Curran
President & CEO